Unexpected truth about wedding rings :-)
“You made me the happiest man in the world.” Svetulya, will you marry me? – the young man got on one knee and handed a wedding ring with a diamond to his beloved.
A touching moment was interrupted by a stranger:
– How cute! You like her, so you put a ring on her. Have you ever thought where did the tradition to give a ring with a diamond come from?
– Oh no! – exclaimed Sveta. “You’re going to tell us the terrible truth about diamond rings, aren’t you?”
– Exactly, dear. Hi, I’m Dima – the destroyer of myths!
“Hi,” the guy replied, displeased.
The proposal with the engagement Dima began his story:
– You think of engagement rings with a diamond as an eternal symbol of love. But in fact, this “ancient” tradition was invented less than a century ago by the company De Beers, which was engaged in diamonds. Until the 30s of the last century, no one ever exchanged engagement rings. It was just not accepted.
In fact, everything was much simpler:
– Sun, do you want to marry me? – the man offered.
“Great idea, Misha,” the girl replied, “come on, have you prepared a present?”
– I have a filling apple.
– Accepted, love you, Misha!
“But in 1938, the diamond cartel De Beers started up a massive advertising campaign, which said that the only way to show true love was to buy expensive crystallized carbon, and we were driven like paws.
The young man asked in amazement:
– Wait a minute, it seems that if I do not buy you one of these rings, it means that I am a nischrodsky horseman?
– But it is written on the wall, which means – this is probably true. – answered Light.
– Well, nothing can be done.
Dima (the mythmaker) again intervened in the conversation and continued his story:
– In general, every aspect of the traditional engagement is invented specifically to ensure that De Beers receives the maximum profit. How much did you get off the pebble?
– Well, about 2 thousand dollars.
– Stunned what? – the girl was surprised, – It is more expensive than your car!
– Dad said that it’s right to put a two-month salary in the ring.
“Well, yes, man, but this is not the rule,” said Dima, “This is just an arbitrary figure from the old De Beers advertising company.” Buy her a ring for one salary, and she will love you forever. The company’s profit fell, so they decided that it was better to say that they spent two salaries. It was probably the most successful advertising campaign of all time. It sounds as if during the next 50 years people behaved like this:
– Honey, what’s pizza again?
– Yes. Do you remember this old rule: pizza in the morning, pizza in the evening, pizza in the afternoon. As long as pizza exists, you must eat it all the time.
The young man tried to argue:
– But I did not throw money away. The ring is worth something.
– In general, a diamond has no intrinsic value. – answered Dima.
– I refuse to believe it! – categorically declared Sveta.
– Well, maybe then you will believe the representative of the company De Beers, who once said: “Diamonds have no intrinsic value.”
– Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! – could not resist the guy.
But Dima continued:
“In fact, they are quite often found in nature and the only reason why they are generally expensive is because De Beers has a global monopoly on their prey. They artificially limit the supply and inflate prices to the ceiling, and in fact – these goat, fucking mountains! If the seller declares: “These are – well, very rare …” – do not pay attention. This means that the pebble you just lowered all your savings to does not cost anything for resale. That is why De Beers says: “Diamonds are forever.” And if you don’t try to sell it, you won’t find out how hard they bent you.
– And what should we do now?
– And nothing. They hold us by the balls for almost centuries. Endless advertising has driven the idea of diamond engagement rings so deep into our culture that even knowing all this does not absolve you from buying it. Seriously, try it!
– Okay. Svetik, you will marry me, but I will not give you a ring, because the idea of wedding rings is a fiction enriching the company of De Beers. But, we can open a general bank account …
– Excuse me, man, I want a pebble.
– Damn, thank you, damn it, great! – shouted guy Dima.
Dima cynically smiled:
– That is not for anything …