All is not gold that glitters or how to choose gold jewelry
Gold jewelry is a must have for anyone who appreciates precious masterpieces. It is gold that is a favorite among metals and a real king of the jewelry world. But what do we really know about this metal? What kinds of it happen? Why is gold different samples and how do these samples affect the value of the product? After reading our article, you will get answers to all your questions, as well as understand which gold suits you best!
To begin with, all the gold jewelry that we all love and wear with pleasure is made of an alloy of gold with other metals. Why? All because of the fragility and softness of this metal. A product made of pure gold quickly loses its luster, it will be very easy to scratch, and also to deform due to the softness of the metal. In short, to wear such a decoration for a long time is impossible. Therefore, to find and see “real” gold (999 sample) can only be in the form of bank bars.
If we are talking about precious material that jewelers actively use in their work, then this is an alloy of gold and other metals. From the fact that part of the alloy depends on its color. The most popular options will be discussed later in the article.
What is gold and how to choose your metal?
The color scheme of gold on the example of wedding rings White gold is the result of inclusions in pure gold of nickel, manganese, and palladium. The resulting alloy has a luxurious platinum sheen and is widely popular in the jewelry industry. It is ideally combined with diamonds, resistant to negative environmental influences. Of the disadvantages – can cause allergic reactions.
Yellow gold is a classic, which is often considered “pure” gold. In fact, it is also an alloy in which additives are made in the form of copper and silver.
Yellow gold looks perfect on the skin, it is great as a frame for precious stones of any color, quality and cut. It is used by jewelry makers in the wedding industry, as well as in the creation of precious Swiss watches. By the way, wedding rings made of yellow gold are the most popular in the world.
Red gold is the result of adding large amounts of copper to gold. This is a very durable alloy that retains its brilliance and beauty for a long time. It is from red gold that you can create all sorts of patterns, weaving, etc., which are especially loved and appreciated by the fair sex.
Black gold is a relatively recent trend. It is obtained by adding cobalt and chromium with their subsequent oxidation. Another option for obtaining black gold is to cover the already finished jewelry with black rhodium, ruthenium or amorphous carbon, or to treat the product with a special laser.
Of course, the cost of such a metal is higher than that of the others, it is very durable and practically does not lose its original beauty. It is used to create sophisticated jewelry with a single gem (often a diamond).
Gold and samples: how to choose your ideal
So what kind of gold to choose? No one will give you a clear answer. One thing can be said for sure: gold, regardless of color, cannot be “good” or “bad.” Here it is more important to pay attention not to the color, but to the sample of this precious metal.
A sample is an indicator of how much gold is present in each particular alloy. For example, if you see gold of 585, then you understand that for 100% of the alloy, 58.5% is pure gold, and the remaining 41.5% are other auxiliary metals (for example: silver, copper, nickel, zinc …) . Gold 585 (or any other) samples can be red, green, white, pink, yellow, etc. – in each of the options, the percentage of pure gold will remain unchanged.